- December 12, 2019
- By: efireside
- In: General
*text-based job details are at the bottom*
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW: Nexus Community Partners is a community-building intermediary whose mission is to “build more engaged and powerful communities of color by supporting community-building initiatives and foster social and human capital.”
POSITION SUMMARY: Nexus Community Engagement Institute (NCEI) advances and strengthens communities through equity-based community engagement, both locally and nationally. (NCEI) is seeking a dynamic and deliberate individual who will provide community engagement coaching, consultation, and implementation support to national and local community partners and government stakeholders within the Safety and Justice Challenge (SJC). The SJC is an initiative that provides support to leaders from across the country who are determined to tackle one of the greatest drivers of incarceration in America—the misuse and overuse of jails. Out of state travel is required approximately every month. The position reports directly to the National Engagement Program Manager and works with the NCEI team, including the Program Director and Local Engagement Manager, to provide expertise, planning, and facilitation to ensure programming and consultation are adaptive and effective. The Community Engagement Associate builds strong relationships with all Nexus staff, while promoting and modeling equity and accountability. The Community Engagement Associate will join our dynamic and diverse team of thoughtful, equity-driven individuals who are deeply committed to the organization’s values. This position is a one-year grant-dependent position funded by the Catherine D. and John T. MacArthur Foundation.
National Site Support (60%)
- Provide coaching and consultation to national sites and community partners related to their engagement activities and or strategies (long-distance travel is required to sites and initiative-wide convenings)
- Manage logistics for interviews, meetings, programming/ training spaces, phone calls, travel itineraries, and trainings
- Facilitate & implement site–specific engagement strategies, environmental scans, trainings, and convenings
- Assist in curriculum development for the national SJC sites and support curriculum development for local MN communities and sectors.
- Facilitate programming for the SJC sites, the SJC network, and other NCEI programs and convenings such as the Engaged Learning Series, Tapping the Potential, and others
- Maintain positive relationships between staff, consultants, and partners
- Assist in the planning and coordination of program and meeting logistics for the SJC body of work and as needed for the NCEI local convenings
- Synthesize & analyze findings from environment scans
- Prepare memos and other reports
- Track program-related expenses and activities
Outreach and Engagement (25%)
- Build new, collaborative relationships locally and nationally on behalf of the NCEI that will continue to grow the field of community engagement
- Participate (as needed) in the development and delivery of presentations at forums, conferences, panels, workshops, etc.
Evaluation and Capacity Building (5%)
- Support implementation of evaluation to ensure the NCEI is reaching its goals and maintaining accountability to our key stakeholders
Communications and Development (5%)
- Support implementation of communication strategy for the SJC body of work including, the production of tools and resources, blogs, website, and social media
- Develop local and national awareness of Nexus by identifying opportunities to expand the organization’s geographic reach and building relationships within the expansive SJC network
- Provide support as needed for other projects, such as subcommittees, the broader evaluation, and communications for Nexus.
- Other duties as assigned.
Assets of most interest to the hiring committee include the following:
- 3+ years of experience in community engagement and community building work
- Deep commitment to the history of organizing for economic, racial and social justice.
- Project management skills: ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and create systems and processes.
- Requires knowledge, skills and abilities in data analysis and insight generation, translation of complex issues into actionable efforts.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple sites and priorities, and able to react and adjust quickly to changing conditions.
- Excellent communication skills; able to communicate effectively and articulately in writing and orally.
- Solid relationship management skills enhancing internal and external community interactions.
- Ability to develop and write case studies
- Skilled facilitator for diverse audiences
- Comfortable with engaging in and working through conflict
- Comfortable navigating political settings and environments
- Ability and willingness to travel out of state (Up to 25%, may be required)
Nexus offers medical, dental and vision insurance with premiums paid for individuals and family members at either 90% or 80% dependent on the chosen plan. In addition, we offer life, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance with premiums paid in full. Benefits also include paid time off each year (earned on an accrual basis), 12 paid holidays, health club benefits, Wellness Bucks & Wellness Hours and participation in an employer–matched 401k plan. Nexus also provides professional development funds to all staff.
Please submit a resume and cover letter via email subject line: Application Community Engagement Associate. Please label each document with your first and last name and mention how you found out about the position. In your cover letter, please explain what motivates you to work with Nexus Community Partners, and how your experience, skills and commitment will advance our work to create more engaged and powerful communities of color.
Attn: Karen Law, Director of Human Resources (An email confirmation will be sent upon receipt of your application)
The hiring committee will review resumes as they are submitted.
NEXUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Title: Community Engagement Associate
Salary Range: $55,000-$60,000
Position Closes: 12/27/19
Department: Nexus Community Engagement Institute
Hours: Full-time, 40 Hours
Start Date: January 2020
Reports to: National Engagement Program Manager
Classification: Exempt, Salaried
Location: St Paul, MN